- Always warm up before stretching. Warming up gives your body a chance to deliver plenty of nutrient rich blood to areas about to be exercised, which warms the muscles and lubricates the joints
- Do not bounce or bob when you stretch — not only is this not effective, but you could injure yourself.
- Take each stretch slow to the point where tension can be felt, but not pain.
- Never stretch torn or injured muscles unless you have consulted with your doctor.
- Hold each stretch for 20 to 30 seconds.
Always complete each stretch for both sides of your body, when applicable.
- Always cool down and relax after a stretching routine. By cooling down, you can help prevent injuries and muscle soreness from your workout.